Finally the Debian package for ejabberd 2.1.6 is available. Therefore we will perform an upgrade to ejabberd 2.1.6 in the next minutes. There will be a short service outage.
We noticed that buddies in Jabber roster are now renamed into the original names from the legacy networks, e.g. ICQ or Facebook.
This affects just local transport users as remote roster only works on the same server.
Sorry about that… But now the rosters are synced and renaming the contacts will also rename the contacts in the legacy network roster. If renaming in the legacy network is not supported the databases of Jabber and the transport service are synced anyway.
We experienced problems with ICQ transport the last days. According to the developers of Spectrum this is a “glib poll” issue. epoll unfortunally does not work with glib (yet).
Therefore Spectrum ICQ transport now uses libev3 and epoll.
It looks good at the moment, I hope it stays that way. We will see what happens during the next days as our server is the only server which runs this configuration. Not even the Spectrum developers were able to test it, yet. ;-)
We just restarted the server to activate Remote roster. What is that?
What’s Remote roster?
Remote roster is protoXEP which allows your server to synchronize legacy network contact list with your users’ rosters. Currently it works only for local users (users registered on the same server which supports this protoXEP). It’s available for Ejabberd 2.1.x and Prosody.
Why should I use it?
It allows to your users following features:
- When they register their account and login for first time, they won’t receive lots of subscribe presences or Roster Item Exchanged stanza. All their legacy network buddies just appear in their roster with proper groups and nicknames.
- When they will unregistering their account, buddies are just removed from their rosters without need of unsubscribing them.
- When they rename some buddy in their Jabber roster, it’s renamed also in legacy network.
- When they move some buddy into different groups, it’s moved also in legacy network.
- All changes made in legacy network when transport is disconnected are synchronized with Jabber account once they become online in Jabber.
Taken from Spectrum website.