Today the Jabber/XMPP services were offline for some hours because of an attack on our server. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Finally we got our XMPP Housekeeping scripts up and running. These scripts automatically delete unused XMPP and Spectrum 2 Transport accounts and run daily. Deletion takes place if:
- A XMPP account using one of our public domains was not used (no login occurred) for more than a year. The corresponding Spectrum 2 Transport accounts are deleted as well.
- A new registered XMPP account using one of our public domains was not used (a login never occurred) for more than 31 days.
- A Spectrum 2 Transport account created with an external XMPP account was not used (no login occurred) for more than a year.
After an initial run of the scripts we came down from 300134 XMPP user accounts to only 64624! As we need to exclude jabb3r.de until next spring (here there was a problem how Prosody mod_lastlog saved its timestamps) there was no deletion on this domain. So if we exclude this domain from the numbers, it’s 265049 XMPP accounts before and 34100 accounts after the initial run of our scripts.
You can find our server statistics here.
We changed the HTTP Upload storage limits some weeks ago:
- 10MB per file, 512MB overall quota
There was a lot of work lately on our transports. We sent some transports into retirement, some of those transports were not working as the native network was not existing anymore, like AIM and ICQ. And we got a lot of new transports like Telegram, Instagram and Discord. Check out the complete list here. Most transports run on Spectrum 2, but there is also Biboumi for one of our IRC transports and whatsxmpp for WhatsApp.
We know that some transports don’t work or have issues. Please report these issues either directly to the maintainers or into our Support MUC. We are working with the maintainers a lot at the moment and were able to fix a lot of bugs and also did implement new features. And we want to keep this going.
Everyone is talking about Jitsi Meet. Probably mainly because you cannot meet at the moment and are looking for alternative options. One of them is Jitsi Meet.
We have created our own Jitsi Meet instance at https://meet.hot-chilli.net for you! You can easily use it in a browser or via Android app or iOS app for free video conferences. Some of the features are:
- Sharing of desktop, applications, presentations
- Invite users via a simple custom URL
- Conference rooms can be secured with a password
- Conferences can be recorded
- Exchange messages in integrated chat
- 100% open source
- fully encrypted
Furthermore you can easily use your Jabber/XMPP account, a webcam and a suitable client, for example Jitsi Desktop, to secure video chat with your friends. We have provided a STUN/TURN server on stun.hot-chilli.net (port 3478). This must be set in the settings of the client.
Recently we changed our IRC transport from Spectrum 2 to biboumi. If you are using the IRC transport you might have noticed it already. ;-) If not and you will use it in the future we hope you like it.
We changed some storage limits in the last days:
- HTTP Upload: 50MB per file, 100MB overall quota
- Automatic deletion of offline messages: 93 days
- Automatic deletion of MAM archive messages: 31 days (if MAM was enabled by the user, otherwise no storage)
- Automatic deletion of chatroom messages: 31 days (if MUC_Log was enabled by the user, otherwise no storage)
- Automatic deletion of unused accounts: not yet
We have updated our web forms and restored accessibility for users who are blind or visually impaired. You can again pass the captcha by listening to it if you cannot see the captcha image.
Also we would like to remind our Jabber hosting customers that you and your users also can use the public web forms (Change password, Reset password, Add/change email, remove account) on this website. You cannot use the Create account form as you can create new JIDs through the Web Admin and we won’t expose our Jabber hosting customers to the public.