A few days ago Daniel Gultsch added the column XEP-0384: OMEMO Encryption to his compliance list. It suggested that only conversations.im supports OMEMO Encryption, which isn’t true. Yesterday an explanation was added to one of the source files of the ComplianceTester and also a question mark was added to the column mentioned above, which is a link to this explanation.
Daniel Gultsch strongly recommends that the servers PEP module should support publish-options. If enabled, Conversations starting with version 1.20, will be able to send OMEMO encrypted messages to clients, without the need to add them to your roster first. This is a great new feature and we like it, and would like to support it, but currently the PEP module from Prosody does not support publish-options (yet).
Long speak short: You can still use Conversations and other clients with OMEMO over our and other servers, but without the feature of writing encrypted messages to persons, who are not in your address book.
For more information please see here at 5222.de. I also reused some text of the blog post of Sebastian as it describes everything quite good. So thank you for that, Sebastian! ;-)
The problem with “Encryption is required” when registering an account is solved for two days now. Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.
There was a change in Prosody with the latest update which made it necessary to identify the problem and modify our scripts on the website.
We just moved from StartSSL to Let’s Encrypt certificates for all public Jabber domains including the certificate for this website. You can find the new certificate fingerprints on the Server Specifications page.
This will affect Jabber itself and all transport services, and also this website. And it will take place during the next 24 to 48 hours. Please be patient and expect some service outages. We changed the TTL of our DNS zones to 1 minute but nevertheless it could be that your client still looks for the old server. You might need to relogin to the Internet and/or restart your client.
We will be back here when everything is moved. Until then you also can reach us on Twitter, where a link to this post will also be posted.
The Spectrum transport services are down at the moment. It will take one to three days until these services are up again. Mostly because we are about to move all Jabber related services to a new machine. So please stay tuned.
There were some outages in the past weeks.
A big outage was from yesterday to today, almost one day. Coming back just two hours ago. But everything is fine again. We had some server hardware problems which are solved now. No data loss and no need to restore our backups.
The other outages are much harder to detect. There is a annoying bug in Prosody at the moment which causes database connections to fail at some point. Then a restart is needed. We need the information then (because most of the time it only affects users who want to login, not already logged in users) to restart the server. Another bug which is unknown at the moment is that connections to jabber.ccc.de are failing from time to time. A restart solves it – or causes it. You choose… ;-) But these problems are Prosody related (the first for sure, the second maybe) and we work on it.
So we need your help. If you cannot login, tell us. Here or Twitter, does not matter. If you see your buddies from other servers offline at once, tell us. At the moment we just know about this jabber.ccc.de problem which happened two times.
PS: We are not thinking about cancelling our Jabber services here, do not worry! Some people were afraid.
We just upgraded the Jappix web client to 1.1.6 from a older 0.9 version. Have fun! ;-)
JWchat is offline, it did not work anymore after we upgraded something on our server a while ago.
We updated our old expired certificates a while ago. And now I just updated the website. You can find the new fingerprints here.
Also we had some problems with certificates, especially on this website. Sometimes the webserver delivered the old and expired certificate. This was because some old tasks of Apache were still in the memory. Problem solved three days ago.