Unfortunally there was a major problem with the database for all accounts of the jabber.hot-chilli.net domain (not accounts from other domains, like jabber.hot-chilli.eu).
Finally we decided to restore a backup from 4th/5th of May 2010 (day of the server move) and had to take the Jabber server down for about 2 hours.
Affected are just the contact lists and contact groups. This means that as an affected user of this you have to add/delete all buddies you changed since then.
We really apologize for the trouble caused, especially because the backup is one week old.
The question remains why we just got 20 rows of data inside our current database backup from this morning, missing 150000 (!) other rows. We will take a deep look into the backup process.
To avoid login errors or messages and also to avoid certain problems with server-to-server connections we installed proper certificates for the secondary domains today.
We had to restart the Jabber services several times, sorry. The ejabberd config file isn’t commented very good, also Google didn’t tell us the correct settings in the first place. But everything works fine now.
PS: For old SSL connections to port 5223 there are no dynamic certificates. This just isn’t possible because of how SSL works.
At 2pm CEST today I just upgraded the server to ejabberd 2.1.3, which is a bugfixing release. Finally the Debian package is available. Sorry for the less than one minute short service downtime. ;-)
Our provider experienced network problems starting yesterday (05/06/2010) at 2pm CEST. The outages covered a lot of ISPs. T-Online and Alice worked here in Germany, a lot of others like KabelBW and Strato did not work. These severe problems went away at about 6pm, but we still experienced some problems until this morning. According to our server provider the problems are gone now. The problems were cause by a external attack with more than 50 gbits.
The Jabber server was just recovering from a 6 hour downtime on 9am CEST.
Sorry guys, there was a mistake in the config file due to adding a new Jabber domain to it.
We deeply apologize for the trouble caused.
Ok, the server move is almost finished. JMC, jDisk and SMS have still to be moved, that’s gonna happen later the day… ;-)
If you experience any other problems, please contact us!
Due to massive hardware problems we will move the Jabber service to a new machine. This will happen soon, maybe already this evening/night. You won’t be able to reach the services for about an hour. The new IP address will be 220.127.116.11 – if your DNS does not update in time. We apologize for the trouble caused.